Nestled within the heart of Johnson County, Kansas, Overland Park emerges as a vibrant urban oasis, a city reeling with possibilities and attractions to captivate people’s interests. As the second-most populous city in the state, it holds a significant position within Kansas and stands as a cornerstone of the Kansas City metropolitan area. With its strategic location and plenty to do, Overland Park has etched its name as a top spot to visit in the Midwest, United States.
Renowned as Livability’s coveted “best place to raise a family” in 2019, Overland Park exudes a magnetic charm that resonates deeply with over 200,000 residents who proudly call it home. Its allure extends beyond its residential appeal, drawing attention to its bustling streets, lively cultural scene, and recreational activities. As many say, there’s no place like the Midwest, and Overland Park is a perfect example of this.
Things To Do
Whether it’s someone’s first time to Kansas or they haven’t been to Overland Park, there is much to see, do, and experience here. From museums to parks to fine dining and more: here are ten things travelers shouldn’t miss while in Overland Park, Kansas!
Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead
Indian Creek at Overland Park, Kansas
- Address: 13800 Switzer Rd, Overland Park, KS 66221
- Hours: Open daily from 9 AM to 5 PM
- Price: Starting at $5 per guest
One of the first things to experience in Overland Park, Kansas, is the Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead. This unique attraction boasts farm animals, birds of prey, show gardens, butterfly gardens, a nature trail, a Kanza Native American display, and a full-scale one-room schoolhouse.
For those with children wanting a day of fun, this farmstead is worth checking out!
Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
Park during the day in Overland, Kansas
- Address: 8909 W 179th St, Overland Park, KS 66013
- Hours: Open daily from 9 AM to 5 PM
- Price: $3 for adults, $1 for children ages 6-12, and free for children under 5
As one of Overland Park’s crown jewel attractions, the Arboretum & Botanical Gardens is home to some of the state’s most beautiful landscapes and a favorite of tourists and residents alike.
Here, people can appreciate educational, recreational, and cultural resources for the Kansas City region. 85% of this arboretum and botanical garden is preserved land, keeping nature as-is for generations of guests. Most people spend about 2–3 hours here.
Museum At Prairiefire
View of street in Overland Park Kansas
- Address: 5801 W 135th St, Overland Park, KS 66223
- Hours: Open daily from 10 AM to 5 PM (Sunday from 12-5 PM)
- Price: $5 per adult, free for veterans
The next thing to do while in Overland Park, Kansas, is to see the Museum at Prairiefire. Here, people can experience a 42,000-square-foot facility that opened in May 2014 and has received honors for its architectural style. Notably, this location boasts traveling collections and seasonal international artwork, so it’s a cultural point in the city.
Overland Park Farmers’ Market
Sunset scenery in Overland Park, Kansas
- Address: 7950 Marty St, Overland Park, KS 66204
- Hours: Wednesday and Saturday from 8 AM to 1 PM
Next, the Overland Park Farmers’ Market is something to check out in Kansas. Here, people can purchase farm-fresh food from local vendors and participate in a decades-long tradition for this city.
The Farmers’ Market has been a point of pride in Overland Park for many years and is listed as one of the best things to do while here.
Oak Park Mall
Oak Park Mall in Overland Park, Kansas
- Address: 11149 W 95th St, Overland Park, KS 66214
- Hours: Open daily from 10 AM to 8 PM (Sunday from 11 AM to 6 PM)
For those wanting to shop in Overland Park, the Oak Park Mall is a great location to consider. Here lies a well-established indoor shopping complex boasting over 180 stores in a covered area of 1,607,803 square feet.
This mall is the largest in the Kansas City Metro area, which brings people from near and far on weekdays and weekends.
Nerman Museum Of Contemporary Art
Store in Overland Park, Kansas during the day.
- Address: 12345 College Blvd, Overland Park, KS 66210
- Hours: Tuesday – Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM, Sunday from 12-5 PM (Wednesday & Thursday hours are 10 AM to 8 PM)
- Price: Free to enter
As another cultural point in the area, the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art is a highly-recommended spot for guests of the Overland Park area.
Here, someone can find galleries for permanent and temporary exhibitions, the M.R. and Evelyn Hudson Auditorium, and the Tearney Art Education Center. Expect to spend about an hour or two here.
Johnson County Museum
Preserve in Overland Park, Kansas
- Address: 8788 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS 66212
- Hours: Monday – Saturday from 9 AM to 4:30 PM
- Price: $6 for adults, $4 for children, $5 for seniors
Staying in the museum realm, the ever-loved Johnson County Museum is located in Overland Park. Here, people can explore exhibits tracing the history of Johnson Country from its geological beginnings to the pioneer days to the “foot-tappin’ fifties!”
Furthermore, the museum boasts a unique car collection and plenty of places for a photo-op, so there’s certainly something to be impressed by.
The White Theatre at The J
Overland Park Theatre
- Address: 5801 W 115th St, Overland Park, KS 66211
- Hours: Dependent on the show
The next thing to see while in Overland Park, Kansas, is the White Theatre at The J. Here, people can watch a show inside the beautiful performing arts theater and enjoy a stunning piece of architecture in the city.
Local performers and professional traveling show roll through here, so there should be something to see throughout the year.
Man watching the sunset over Kansas City
- Address: 12401 Hemlock St, Overland Park, KS 66213
- Hours: Open daily from 8 AM to 5 PM
Another thing to see while in Overland Park is the city’s 9/11 Memorial Park. Here, people can walk through a beautiful memorial that honors those lost on Sept. 11, remembers their sacrifices, and teaches future generations about the tragic day.
Over a dozen local businesses built this memorial park, and today it is a place to pay respects.
Mastermind Escape Games Kansas
School in Overland Kansas
- Address: 7810 W 151st St, Overland Park, KS 66223
- Hours: Tuesday – Sunday from 12-8 PM (Friday & Saturday from 12-10 PM)
- Price: Starting at $32 per room
Lastly, we have the Mastermind Escape Games Kansas, a family-friendly attraction that is perfect for an evening out in town. Here, people can experience a premier escape room experience, promoting collaboration, teamwork, and discovery. Most guests spend about an hour here, so keep that in mind.
Best Time To Visit Overland Park, Kansas
Delta Airplanes sit in a row at Kansas City International Airport
- Best time to visit: Late May to late September
Regarding the best time to visit Overland Park, Kansas, most people recommend coming here between late May to late September. That’s because, during this time, the weather will be pleasant enough for outdoor activities, which include the botanical garden, Memorial, and other downtown walking and shopping.
However, spring is also quite lovely here, starting around March.
Winter can be unforgiving, so keep that in mind if you’re sensitive to cold weather. With that in mind, the Midwest can also be stunning throughout the winter, so if people want to see snow, we’d recommend it.
How Many Days Do I Need In Overland Park, Kansas?
Most people spend about 3–5 days in Overland Park, Kansas. However, Kansas City might warrant a week-long trip if someone chooses to see it as well, so keep that in mind.
Best Ways To Get Around Overland Park, Kansas
Kansas City International Airport – best way to reach Topeka
- Best way to get around: Private car or rideshare
For those wanting to get around the city, Overland Park is a suburb, meaning a car is almost always required to get from point A to B. Generally, guests here will rely on vehicle rentals or Lyft/Uber, which is a cost to consider. Of course, a bus network runs through town, but it’s not usually headed toward the attractions on this list.
Like much of the Midwest: people visiting will need a vehicle to get around. Luckily, the Midwest is filled with beautiful and scenic roads, so time in the car shouldn’t be boring.
Where To Eat In Overland Park
Grocery store in Overland Park, Kansas
For visitors to Overland Park wanting food, they’ll be spoiled with delicious choices. Here are places to consider for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks:
Breakfast: Another Broken Egg Café
- Address: 13386 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS 66213
- Hours: Open daily from 7 AM to 2 PM
- Serving: Egg dishes & other breakfast items, plus brunch sandwiches.
Lunch: Jack Stack Barbecue
- Address: 9520 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS 66212
- Hours: Monday – Thursday from 11 AM to 9 PM, Friday – Saturday from 11 AM to 10 PM, and Sunday from 11:30 AM to 8:30 PM
- Serving: Vast barbecue menu encompassing steak & seafood.
Dinner: J. Alexander’s Restaurant (Overland Park Grill)
- Address: 11471 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS 66210
- Hours: Open daily from 11 AM to 9:30 PM (Open until 10 PM Friday and Saturday)
- Serving: Wood-fired American fare in a contemporary space with a bar.
Drinks: The Brew Top Pub and Patio
- Address: 6601 W 135th St, Overland Park, KS 66223
- Hours: Open daily from 11-2 AM
- Serving: Pub grub, a large beer selection & live music.
Where To Stay In Overland Park, Kansas
Glenwood Theatre in Overland Park, Kansas
When staying in Overland Park, Kansas, there will also be a great selection of hotels. From budget to mid-tier to luxury, here are some options for this hidden Midwest gem:
Budget: KCI Lodge
- Address: 11300 Northwest Prairie View Road, Kansas City, MO 64153
- Amenities: Free Wi-Fi, Free parking, Wi-Fi available in all areas, Flat-screen TV, Cable or satellite TV, Free toiletries, Airport shuttle
Budget: Motel 6 Overland Park
- Address: 6850 W. 108th Street, Overland Park, KS 66211
- Amenities: Room service, Free Wi-Fi, TV, Internet, Parking, Pets allowed on request. Charges may apply, 24hr front desk
- Address: 11001 Oakmont Street, Overland Park, KS 66210
- Amenities: Fitness center, Free Wi-Fi, Coffee machine, Free parking, Business center, Flat-screen TV, Cable or satellite TV, Meeting/Banquet facilities
Mid-Tier: Home2 Suites by Hilton Overland Park
- Address: 7121 West 135th Street, Overland Park, KS 66223
- Amenities: Indoor pool, Fitness center, Free Wi-Fi, Coffee machine, Free parking, Business center, Flat-screen TV, Free toiletries
- Address: 6801 West 112th Street, Overland Park, KS 66211
- Amenities: Outdoor pool, Fitness center, Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Free Wi-Fi, Coffee machine, Coffee shop, Free Parking, Business center
- Address: 10100 College Boulevard, Overland Park, KS 66210-1462
- Amenities: Indoor pool, Fitness center, Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Room service, Tea/coffee maker, Coffee shop, Shuttle service (free)
There are also endless hotel choices closer to Kansas City one may consider, so don’t feel restricted to a certain zip code.
Tips For Staying In Overland Park, Kansas
Kansas City skyline
When it comes to staying in Overland Park, there are some things to remember. First, this is a wealthier suburb of Kansas City, meaning prices for hotels and dining may be high. On top of that, attractions might become busier during weekends and holidays as people from Kansas City venture out of the city and into Overland Park.
Walkability here is not amazing, either, meaning guests will need to rent a vehicle to get around. Like much of the Midwest USA, Overland Park could use a bit of a redo in terms of sidewalks and pedestrian-friendly areas.
How To Spend A Perfect Day in Overland Park
Views of Kansas City and the Kansas and Missouri Rivers
Spending the perfect day in Overland Park, Kansas, won’t be that hard. Start the day at a small, locally-owned café, then head off to a museum or park in the city. Next, have a quick lunch at one of the countless restaurants downtown, then off to a show at the performing arts center.
Lastly, book a table at one of the endless fine restaurants in Overland Park, finishing the night at a fun bar. Head back to the hotel, get some rest, and do something fun tomorrow!