How many times has it happened that you’ve forgotten to carry your masks while stepping out for a walk in the park? Well even if you skip that question, we know the answer because you’re not alone in such a scenario. In the aftermath of this pandemic, taking a break from the break is pretty much the thought on everyone’s mind. However, there’s a price one’s got to pay now which is learning to unlearn a lot of practices to be able to cross the international borders in the current scenario. One such destination that has been on everyone’s radar is that of Maldives. With a lot of celebrities flocking to this island destination off-lately, a prime question arises whether is it safe to travel to Maldives during covid or not? And that’s exactly what this post-covid travel guide to Maldives offers.
Maldives Travel Advisory During Covid 19
In Maldives, safety is a necessity. The travelers have no choice but to abide by the rules while staying on the island. Ever since WHO declared a worldwide pandemic, the Government officials have ensured that the rules, regulations, and restrictions are being complied to, and followed without fail.
As a result of these measures initiated by the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Maldives, the overall recovery rate stands at an average of 90% in Maldives ever since a State of Public Health Emergency was declared effective from 12th March 2020. Apart from that, other guidelines have been issued from time to time by the Health Protection Agency as well as the Ministry of Tourism that has led the island to reopen its services and welcome the travelers with clean, gloved, and sanitized arms. Some of the recent Covid guidelines issued in Maldives are:
- Maldives is open for fully vaccinated Indian travellers.
- Resorts and hotels are open and operating for Indians.
- Pre-arrival PCR test is not required for all passengers arriving Maldives.
- Travel-related quarantine is no longer required.
- Wearing of mask is mandatory at indoor gatherings, public transports, and crowded places.
- All the resorts and yachts are operating.
- Cruise activities are active ever since their restoration.
- Tourist attractions are open, however, social distancing is followed.
- Transit facilities are open but visitors must wear a mask.
- Travelling is permitted for officials as well as tourists.
Suggested Read: Best Islands In Maldives For Honeymoon
Best Time To Visit
Ideally, the period from December to February happens to be the best time to visit Maldives. On the contrary, Maldives being a tropical destination is worth exploring in every season.
How To Reach
Apart from the pre-booked hotel, valid passport, and a Covid-negative result requisite, people who are looking forward to travel to Maldives from India during covid will now have to face a compulsory quarantine for 14 days on their arrival in the island. While there are many airports in Maldives, post-covid there were only limited airports that resumed their services after Maldives opened their borders effective from 15th July 2020.
- While metro cities like that of New Delhi, Mumbai, and Hyderabad, cities like Ahmedabad, and Cochin also provided great connectivity via air to the Velana International Airport.
- Major airlines like Emirates and Indigo resumed their services to Maldives.
- Travelers seeking medical attention can also seek the option of an air travel bubble.
Keeping safety in Maldives during covid as the prime concern of every moment happening on the island, 95%+ ferry services have been resumed to make island hopping easier. You can also arrange for a private transfer or seaplane on request from the resort you’ve pre-booked for your vacation. Except for Male that is experiencing a curfew, you can access the following islands via ferry services:
Suggested Read: Cool Things To Do In Maldives With Kids
Places To Visit In Maldives During Covid
An underwater paradise that comprises more than a thousand islands and twenty five atolls, Maldives does not fall short of wonders when it comes to its attractions and landmarks. While it is true that the island strikes a perfect balance between ultimate luxury and unimaginable natural beauty, a lot has changed in Maldives tourism during covid times. While winters make for an amazing season on the pristine beaches, places to visit in Maldives like Sun Island, Banana Reef, Biyadhoo Island, and Artificial Beach are gorgeous throughout the year.
Things To Do In Maldives During Covid
From exploring the stunning beaches in Maldives to enjoying your staycation amidst all the peace and quiet serves like a blessing in disguise on this island. All the mandatory measures are being taken to promote safe and responsible tourism, and there are a lot of things to do in Maldives that one can enjoy post covid too. With all the places being sanitised, people are maintaining social distancing religiously as well. From scuba diving in some of the beautiful diving sites to underwater walking and flying high like a kite with parasailing, a wide range of water sports in Maldives will let you experience the thrill of the turquoise waters keeping safety in Maldives during covid as the first priority.
Suggested Read: Budget Trip To Maldives From India
Any post-covid travel guide to Maldives is incomplete without mentioning the safety measures that are being taken by the welcoming staff of the hotels and Maldives resorts to ensure the wellbeing of their guests. While most of the resorts of have now been reopened and some are still working their way out as per their hospitality standards, here are some of the initiatives that can be witnessed in the Republic of Maldives post covid:
- All the rooms are being sanitized on a regular basis.
- A safety manager has been especially appointed in the hotels and resorts of Maldives.
- In case you get stuck in your resort on being tested positive, your respective safety manager will oversee the further regulations.
- Isolation in your room will be advised.
- Moving around within the premises will be restricted.
- Setting up of tree pods, bubble tents, and beach bedrooms has been initiated by some resorts to maintain social distancing.
- Further, you can also call 1676 which is a toll free number set by the Health Protection Agency.
Safety in Maldives during covid has had a greater impact on the restaurant chains. While some of the restaurants have fixed timing with regular intervals, few others like the underwater restaurants in Maldives are only open to the tourists on particular days in the week.
What To Pack
Post-covid travel guide to Maldives is incomplete without checking off the list of things that the travelers need to pack:
- Carry your usual meds in case you are undergoing any treatment along with the prescription.
- A first-aid kit with the mandatory items to get you through the trip would be advisable.
- Take suitable masks, disposable gloves, and sanitizers are mandatory.
- Pack light, but pack cotton clothes to change easily and regularly during covid times.
- Don’t forget your slippers, sunscreen, swimwear, and sunglasses.
- Insect repellent is a must for everyone.
Suggested Read: Romantic Things To Do In Maldives On Honeymoon
- Pre-book your flights and hotel.
- Meet the prerequisite of the Ministry of Tourism of filling an online health declaration 24 hours prior to departure.
- Keep your covid-negative test result or certificate handy as a proof to submit on arrival in Maldives.
- It is better to depart from Delhi or Mumbai since the airports at these cities are conducting the tests. In case you depart from Bangalore, you will have to get the test done in Maldives which will cost you around INR 12K per person.
- Download the TraceEkee app on your mobile.
Covid-19 Prerequisites And Consequences In Maldives
- Make sure you go through the thermal screening at the Maldivian airport.
- Expect to be asked for random samples that are free of cost, and are a part of health surveillance by the Government.
- On showing any covid-19 symptoms, people traveling whether solo or in a group, will have to go through PCR testing which is not free of cost.
- A transit facility will be made available for the next 24 hours until the results are out. This is chargeable.
- On testing positive, you will be isolated either till you test negative or for 14 days.
Further Travel Tips
Apart from the usual Maldives travel tips, here are some tips that will keep your health and safety in check:
- Carry and wear your mask throughout your travel period.
- Keep extra sanitizers, masks, and wipes for back up.
- While everyone tells you what to do in a particular destination, make a note of things not to do in Maldives.
- If you are planning a list of things to do in Maldives during Covid, do not fail to follow social distancing.
- Even if you are tested negative in PCR testing, make sure you avoid the crowded areas on the island.
- On returning back to India, testing again is mandatory too.
- Call HPA at 1676 for covid-related help when in Maldives.
Further Read: Planning A Cruise To Maldives?
Still thinking on how to plan a post-pandemic trip to Maldives? Let this post-covid travel guide to Maldives show you the way. And while you’re still planning, remember that travel is rejuvenation but safety should be the priority always, and in all ways!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About Post-Covid Travel To Maldives
Is it safe to travel to Maldives during covid?
Having taken all the necessary precautions and abiding by the rules, it is safe to travel to Maldives during the covid times.
Do I need to present the Covid-19 test result for travelling to Maldives?
This is one of the necessities in Maldives now. One has to present the Covid-19 test certificate on arriving at the airport and also get tested in Maldives on their arrival.
Is Maldives open for tourism from India?
Yes, Maldives is open for tourism from India. However, make sure you check the travel advisory of your country before planning a trip.
Do I need a visa to enter the Maldives?
This depends on your nationality as well. However, Indians can get a tourist visa on arrival provided they have a confirmation on their hotel reservations.
How to get to the Maldives from India?
There are various airlines like the Emirates, and IndiGo Airlines that operate and provide easy connectivity to Maldives from India. Having said that, one must check the travel advisory on international flights from their country before planning for a trip during covid.
People Also Read: